Document Type: Research(Original) Article
Shiraz University of Medical Sciences
Ondansetron hydrochloride, a selective 5-HT3 receptor blocker, is an effective antiemetic drug with oral bioavailability of %60 and half-life of 4-5 h. The present study was carried out to prepare fast dissolving films of ondansetron hydrochloride to increase patient compliance and improve efficacy of drug. Films were prepared by solvent casting method, using poly vinyl alcohol, poly vinyl pyrrolidone and konjacglucomannan as film formers and PEG400 as plasticizer. Natural and synthetic sweeteners were used for masking bitterness of drug. Satisfactory results were obtained from evaluation of physical characteristics of fast dissolving films of ondansetron hydrochloride including: thickness: 37-39mm, surface pH: 6.77, folding endurance: up to 300 time and tensile strength: 35.75-50.93g/cm². Films were also subjected to an in vitro dissolution and release studies. In vitro drug release studies indicated 93-95% release in 5 min. Fast dissolving films of ondansetron could be a potential alternative for the currently marketed oral formulation, parenteral form and suppository with better patient compliance and higher bioavailability for the rapid control of emesis.
- Choudhary DR, Patel VA, Chhalotiya UK, Patel HV, Kundawala AJ. Natural polysaccharides as film former: A feasibility study for development of rapid dissolving films of ondansetron hydrochloride. Int J Pharm Pharmaceu Sci. 2012;4:78-85.
- Koland M, Sandeep VP, Charyulu NR. Fast dissolving sublingual films of ondansetron hydrochloride: Effect of additives on invitro drug release and mucosal permeation. J Young Pharm. 2010;2:216-22.
- Koland M, Sandeep VP, R. Charyulu NR, Subrahmanyam EVS. The design and characterisation of sublingual films of ondansetron hydrochloride. Int J Chem Sci. 2009;7:2927-38.
- Dong-Min Park Y-KS, Jun-Pil J, Hyung Tae K, Chong-Kook K. Development of chitosan-based ondansetron buccal delivery system for the treatment of emesis. Drug Dev Ind Pharm. 2012;39:1077-83.
- Arun Arya AC, Sharma V, Pathak K. Fast dissolving oral films: An innovative drug delivery system and dosage form. Int J ChemTech Res. 2010;2:576-83.
- Bhyan B, Jangra S, Kaur M, Singh H. Orally fast dissolving films: Innovations in formulation and technology. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res. 2011;9:50-57.
- Choudhary DR, ChhalotIya UK, Patel HV, Kundawala AJ. Natural polysaccharides as film former: A feasibility study for development of rapide dissolving films of ondansetron hydrochloride. Int J Pharm Pharmaceu Sci. 2012;4:78-85.
- Ghorwade VAP, Patil S, Srikonda K, Kotagiri R, Patel P. Development and evaluation of fast-dissolving film of montelukast sodium. World J Med Pharm Biol Sci. 2011;1:6-12.
- Cilurzo F, Cupone IE, Minghetti P, Selmin F, Montanari L. Fast dissolving films made of maltodextrins. Eur J Pharm Biopharm. 2008;70:895-900.
- Panda BP, Rao MEB. Development of innovative orally fast disintrgrating film dosage forms. Int J Pharm Sci Nanotech. 2012;5:1666-74.
- Parmar DUP, Bhimani B, Tripathi A, Daslaniya D, Patel G. Orally fast dissolving films as dominant dosage form for quick release. Int J Pharm Res Bio-Sci. 2012;1:27-41.
- Dixit R, Puthli S. Oral strip technology: Overview and future potential. J Control Release. 2009;139:94-107.
- Nehal Siddiqui GG, Sharma PK. A short review on âa novel approach in oral fast dissolving drug delivery system and their patentsâ. Adv Biol Res. 2011;5:291-303.
- Renuka Mishra AA. Manufacturing techniques of orally dissolving films. J Adv Pharm Technol Res. 2011;35:70-3.
- Kulkarni A, Deokule H, Mane M, Ghadge D. Exploration of different polymers for use in the formulation of oral fast dissolving strips. J Curr Pharm Res. 2010;2:33-5.
- Pathare YS, Hastak VS, Bajaj AN. Polymers used for fast disintegrating oral films: A review. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res. 2013;21:169-178.
- Podczeck F, Knight P, Newton J. The evaluation of modified microcrystalline cellulose for the preparation of pellets with high drug loading by extrusion/spheronization. Int J Pharm. 2008;350:145-54.
- Ghorwade V, Patil A, Patil S, Srikonda K, Kotagiri R, Patel P. Development and evaluation of fast-dissolving film of montelukast sodium. World J Med Pharm Biol Sci. 2011;1.
- Kulkarni P, Dixit M, Gunashekara K, Shahnawaz A, Singh MN, Kulkarni A. Formulation and evaluation of mouth dissolving film containing rofecoxib. Int Res J of Pharm. 2011;2:273-8.
- Mahajan A. Formulation and evaluation of fast dissolving buccal films of sertraline. Int J Drug Dev Res. 2012;4:220-6.
- Zhang Y-q, Xie B-j, Gan X. Advance in the applications of konjac glucomannan and its derivatives. Carbohydrate Polym. 2005;60:27-31.