Document Type: Research(Original) Article
Medicinal Plants Processing Research Center, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran. Department of Pharmacognosy, School of Pharmacy, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Department of Phytopharmaceuticals
(Traditional Pharmacy), School of Pharmacy
and Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Center,
Shiraz University of Medical Sciences,
Student Research Committee, School of Pharmacy, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Background: Authentication and quality control of herbs in herbal markets is an important challenge for practitioners and food and drug organizations. Rapid and simple pharmacognostic evaluations are beneficial to overcome this problem. On the other hand, there is a mist about the scientific names of some of these herbs even in scientific literatures. Iklil-ul-Malik or Astragalus hamosus L. (Papilionaceae) is one of these medicinal plants.Methods: Pharmacognostic (macroscopic, microscopic and phytochemical) properties of Iklil-ul-Malik pods were investigated. Different ash and extractive values were determined. The HPTLC finger prints of the herbs fractions were prepared using different reagents and mobile phases. The fatty acids, steroids, alkene and terpenoids of the pods were investigated by GC-MS analysis. Soluble fatty acids and soluble sugar content were determined by spectroscopic methods.Results: Total ash, acid insoluble and water soluble ash were determined 75.00±11.83, 8.33±2.89 and 40.00±5.00 mg/g. The extractive values for n-hexane, dichloromethane and ethanol fractions were 0.77%, 0.16% and 0.49% (w/w). Free amino acid and soluble sugar contents were 3.33±0.001 and 8.83±0.004 (w/w %). Polyphenols, triterpenes, glycosides and glycolipids were detected in different fractions. The principal fatty acids were linoleic acid (48.64%), linolenic acids (25.35%), lauric acid (8.12%) and stearic acid (6.38%).Conclusion: The pharmacognostic values and HPTLC fingerprints provided in this manuscript can be used to authenticate the herb.
- Zoghlami A, Zouaghi M. Morphological variation in Astragalus hamosus L. and Coronilla scorpioides L. populations of Tunisia. Euphytica. 2003 2003/11/01;134(2):137-47. English.
- Alavi Shirazi. Makhzan al-adviyah (The Storehouse of Medicaments). Tehran, Tehran University of Medical Sciences, 2009.
- Amin GR. Popular medicinal plants of Iran: Tehran university of medical sciences and 2005.
- Ionkova I. Astragalus Species (Milk Vetch): In Vitro Culture and the Production of Saponins, Astragaline, and Other Biologically Active Compounds. In: Bajaj YPS, editor. Medicinal and Aromatic Plants VIII. Biotechnology in Agriculture and Forestry. 33: Springer Berlin Heidelberg; 1995. p. 97-138.
- PatanÃ¨ C, Gresta F. Germination of Astragalus hamosus and Medicago orbicularis as affected by seed-coat dormancy breaking techniques. Journal of Arid Environments. 2006;67(1):165-73.
- Krasteva I, Momekov G, Zdraveva P, Konstantinov S, Nikolov S. Antiproliferative effects of a flavonoid and saponins from Astragalus hamosus against human tumor cell lines. Pharmacognosy Magazine. 2008;4(16):269.
- Hakim A, Tajuddin A, Ghufran A, Nasreen J. Evaluation of anti-inflammatory activity of the pods of Iklil-ul-Malik (Astragalus hamosus Linn.). Indian J Nat Prod Resour. 2010;1:34-7.
- Saleem S, Shaharyar M, Khusroo M, Ahmad P, Rahman RU, Ahmad K, et al. Anticancer potential of rhamnocitrin 4â²-Î²-d-galactopyranoside against N-diethylnitrosamine-induced hepatocellular carcinoma in rats. Mol Cell Biochem. 2013 2013/12/01;384(1-2):147-53. English.
- Kondeva-Burdina M, Krasteva I, Mitcheva M. Effects of rhamnocitrin 4-Î²-D-galactopyranoside, isolated from Astragalus hamosus on toxicity models in vitro. Pharmacognosy Magazine. 2014;10(39):487.
- Ebadi AR., Monadi A., Pashazadeh M., Zakhireh S. Antimicrobial effects of alcoholic extracts of (Astragalus hamosus) on gram positive and gram negative bacteria. Journal of Comparative Pathobiology 2014;10(4):1071.
- Patel P, Patel N, Patel P. WHO GUIDELINES ON QUALITY CONTROL OF HERBAL MEDICINES. International Journal of Research in Ayurveda & Pharmacy. 2011;2(4).
- Pascual M, Carretero M, Slowing K, Villar A. Simplified screening by TLC of plant drugs. Pharmaceutical Biology. 2002;40(2):139-43.
- Hamedi A, Mohagheghzadeh A, Rivaz S. Preliminary pharmacognostic evaluation and volatile constituent analysis of spathe of< i> Phoenix dactylifera L.(Tarooneh). Pharmacognosy Journal. 2013.
- Hamedi A, Rivaz S, Mohagheghzadeh A. Pharmacognostic and Preliminary Phytochemical Investigation on Doronicum scorpioides Roots. Iranian Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2012;8(4):257-62. en.
- Dubois M, Gilles KA, Hamilton JK, Rebers P, Smith F. Colorimetric method for determination of sugars and related substances. Analytical chemistry. 1956;28(3):350-6.
- Helrich K. Official methods of Analysis of the AOAC. Volume 2: Association of Official Analytical Chemists Inc.; 1990.
- Jamshidzadeh A, Hamedi A, Altalqi A, Najibi A. Comparative Evaluation of Analgesic Activities of Aniseed Essential and Fixed Oils. International Journal for Pharmaceutical Research Scholars. 2014;3(1):227-35.
- Yang B, Koponen J, Tahvonen R, Kallio H. Plant sterols in seeds of two species of Vaccinium (V. myrtillus and V. vitis-idaea) naturally distributed in Finland. European Food Research and Technology. 2003;216(1):34-8.
- Krasteva I, Platikanov S, Nikolov S, Kaloga M. Flavonoids from Astragalus hamosus. Natural Product Research. 2007 2007/05/01;21(5):392-5.
- Bao X, Katz S, Pollard M, Ohlrogge J. Carbocyclic fatty acids in plants: Biochemical and molecular genetic characterization of cyclopropane fatty acid synthesis of Sterculia foetida. Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. 2002;99(10):7172-7.
- Kim SR, Kim HT, Park HJ, Kim S, Choi HJ, Hwang G-S, et al. Fatty acid profiling and proteomic analysis of< i> Salmonella enterica serotype Typhimurium inactivated with supercritical carbon dioxide. International journal of food microbiology. 2009;134(3):190-5.
- Carballeira NM, Montano N, Vicente J, Rodriguez AD. Novel cyclopropane fatty acids from the phospholipids of the Caribbean sponge Pseudospongosorites suberitoides. Lipids. 2007;42(6):519-24.
- Sledzinski T, Mika A, Stepnowski P, Proczko-Markuszewska M, Kaska L, Stefaniak T, et al. Identification of Cyclopropaneoctanoic Acid 2-Hexyl in Human Adipose Tissue and Serum. Lipids. 2013 2013/08/01;48(8):839-48. English.
- Khokhlov A, Kirillov V. [Effect of the antioxidant fenozan on the physicochemical properties of the kidney cell membranes of rats during nitrosodimethylamine-induced carcinogenesis]. Biulleten'eksperimental'noi biologii i meditsiny. 1988;106(11):557-9.
- Vasilets L, Mokh V, Plekhanova L. [Anti-arrhythmic and vasodilator actions of the antioxidant fenozan in acute ischemia and reperfusion]. Biulleten'eksperimental'noi biologii i meditsiny. 1988;106(11):554-7.
- Platikanov S, Nikolov S, Pavlova D, Evstatieva L, Popov S. Volatiles from four Astragalus species: phenological changes and their chemotaxonomical application. Z Naturforsch C. 2005;60(7-8):591-9.
- Li W, Hon L. Application of neophytadiene as an additive for liquid cigarettes. Google Patents; 2011.
- Stojanovic G, Palic R, Alagic S, ZekoviÄ Z. Chemical composition and antimicrobial activity of the essential oil and CO2 extracts of semi-oriental tobacco, Otlja. Flavour and Fragrance Journal. 2000;15(5):335-8.
- Ruxton C, Reed SC, Simpson M, Millington K. The health benefits of omegaâ3 polyunsaturated fatty acids: a review of the evidence. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics. 2004;17(5):449-59.
- Kelly GS. Conjugated linoleic acid: a review. Alternative medicine review: a journal of clinical therapeutic. 2001;6(4):367-82.
- Yehuda S, Rabinovtz S, Carasso RL, Mostofsky DI. Essential fatty acids preparation (SR-3) improves Alzheimer's patients quality of life. International Journal of Neuroscience. 1996;87(3-4):141-9.
- Harel Z, Gascon G, Riggs S, Vaz R, Brown W, Exil G. Supplementation with omega-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids in the management of recurrent migraines in adolescents. Journal of Adolescent Health. 2002;31(2):154-61.