Document Type: Review Article
Phytopharmaceutical and Traditional Medicine Incubator, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, Shiraz, Iran
Department of Foreign Languages and Linguistics, Shiraz University, Shiraz, Iran
Traditional Iranian Pharmacy (TIP) is a rarity which has not been introduced to the world. In fact, this branch of pharmacy can benefit Iranians and all people right across the world. It is a new field in Iran, on which a lot of research has not been done. In other words, this field suffers from scarcity of research. This paper tries to analyze the current situation of TIP in Iran by using the SWOT framework so as to come up with strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats which are associated with this field at the moment. It is believed that this new field has a lot of potentials which can benefit the health care system substantially. Moreover, it can help the economy to a great extent if the schemes and strategies presented by TIP are taken into consideration.
- www.behdasht.gov.ir [Deputy Ministry for Education Homepage on the Internet]; available from:http://epsc.behdasht.gov.ir/page id=28325.
- www.news.kmu.ac.ir [homepage on the Internet; cited 16 Dec 2013]; available from: http://sonati.kmu.ac.ir.
- Humphrey AS. SWOT Analysis for Management Consulting. SRI Alumni Association Newsletter. 2005; Dec: 7-8.
- Kundu P, Kashyap S, Seema. Extension Education System of Agricultural Universities in India and USA: A SWOT Analysis, Journal of Extension Systems. 2000; 16(2): 55-61.
- Hoq MR, Ahsan MA, Tabassum TA. A Study on SWOT Analysis of Pharmaceutical Industry: The Bangladesh Context. Glob Disclos Eco Bus. 2013; 2(2): 133-141.
- Liu Y, Xu C, Zhang Y. An Analysis on the International Competitiveness of Chinaâs Traditional Medicine Industry Based on the SWOT Model. Inter J Bus Manag. 2010; 5(7): 225-229.
- Mahdei KN. A SWOT Analysis of Medicinal Plant Production in Iran. Acta Hortic. 2005; 678: 23-27.
- Islamic-Traditional Medicine group of Academy of Medical Sciences of Islamic Republic of Iran. Selected Pictures on History of Medicine in Islam and Iran. Tehran: Nozhat Publishing Institute, 1st ed, 2008.
- Rahimi SY, McDonnell DE, Ahmadian A, Vender JR. Medieval Neurosurgery: Contributions from the Middle East, Spain, and Persia. Neurosurg Focus. 2007; 23(1): 1-4.
- Hao X, Ke-ji C. Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Is It Possible to Be Mainstream? Chin J Integr Med. 2012; 18(6): 403-404.
- Harris PE, Cooper KL, Relton C, Thomas KJ. Prevalence of Complementary and Alternative Medicine (CAM) Use by the General Population: a Systematic Review and Update. Int J Clin Pract. 2012; 66(10): 924â939.
- Yuan H, Ma Q, Ye L, Piao G. The Traditional Medicine and Modern Medicine from Natural Products. Molecules. 2016; 21:1-18.
- Zhao X, Zheng X, Fan TP, Li Z, Zhang Y, Zhen J. A Novel Drug Discovery Strategy Inspired by Traditional Medicine Philosophie. Science. 2015; 347(6219 Suppl): 38-40.
- Safavi M, Shams-Ardakani MR, Seyedbagheri MS, Foroumadi A. The Efficacy of Iranian Traditional and Folk Medicinal Plants for Some Gastroduodenal Disorders. Trad Integr Med. 2016; 1(1): 3-17.
- Rahimi R, Shams-Ardekani MR, Abdollahi M. A Review of the Efficacy of Traditional Iranian Medicine for Inflammatory Bowel Disease. World J Gastroentero. 2010; 16 (36): 4504-4514.
- Gorji A. Pharmacological Treatment of Headache Using Traditional Persian Medicine. Trends Pharmacol Sci. 2003; 24 (7): 331-334.
- Khodakrami N, Fariborz M, Ghahiri A, Solokian Sh. The Effect of an Iranian Herbal Drug on Primary Dysmenorrhea: A Clinical Controlled Trial. J Midwifery Wom Heal. 2009; 54(5): 401-404.
- Akhondzadeh Sh, Sabet MS, Harirchian MH, Togha M, Cheraghmakani H, Razeghi S et al.A 22-week, Multicenter, Randomized, Double-blind Controlled Trial of Crocus sativus in the Treatment of Mild-to-Moderate Alzheimerâs Disease.Psychopharmacol. 2010; 207(4): 637-643.
- Jilani H. Alvah al-Sehheh. 1568; (rewritten by Abdollahi M, Badr P, Khazraei H). Choogan Press, 2013.
- Siahpoosh MB. Six Essential Principles of Iranian Traditional Medicine for Maintaining Health from the Quranâs Point of View. Quran Med. 2012; 1(4): 101-107.
- Nikaein F, Zargaran A, Mehdizadeh A. Rhazes' concepts and manuscripts on nutrition in treatment and health care. Anc Sci Life. 2012; 31(4): 160â163.
- Aghili MH. Makhzan al Advieh; (rewritten by Rahimi R, Shams Ardekani MR, Farjadmand F). Tehran: Shahr Press, 2007.
- Badr P, Daneshamouz S, Mohammadi AA, Afsharypuor S. Knowledge of Burn Wound Healing: The Heritage from Traditional Pharmacy of Persia. Pharm Hist. 2014; 44(4):88-93.
- Aghili MH. Gharabadin Kabir. 1772, Edition Litograph, 1855.
- Heravi MSGH. Qarabadin Salehi. 1766; (rewritten by Badr P, Mohagheghzadeh AA, ShamsArdekani MR). Tehran: Rahe Kamal, 2013.
- Heshmati GA. Vegetation Characteristics of Four Ecological Zones of Iran. Int J Plant Prod. 2007; 1(2): 215-224.
- Pandey MM, Rastogi S, Rawat AKS. Indian Traditional Ayurvedic System of Medicine and Nutritional Supplementation. Evid-Based Compl Alt. 2013; 2013: 1-12.
- Keservani RK, Kesharwani RK, Vyas N, Jain S , Raghuvanshi R, Sharma AK. Nutraceutical and Functional Food as Future Food: A Review. Der Pharma Lett. 2010; 2 (1): 106-116.
- Folashade KO, Omoregie EH, Ochogu AP. Standardization of herbal medicines - A review. Inter J Biodiv Cons. 2012; 4(3), 101-112.
- Iqna.ir [homepage on the Internet; cited 11 May 2015] .Available from: http://www.iqna.ir/fa/news/3290894/
- Nasri H, Shirzad H. Toxicity and safety of medicinal plants. J Herb Med Pharmacol. 2013; 2(2): 21-22.
- Rezaeizadeh H, Alizadeh M, Naseri M, Shams Ardakani MR. The Traditional Iranian Medicine Point of View on Health and Disease. Iranian J Publ Health. 2009; 38(1): 169-172.
- Nayernouri T, Azizi MH, History of Medicine in Iran the Oldest Known Medical Treatise in the Persian Language. Middle East J Dig Dis. 2011; 3(1): 74-78.
- Shapiro RJ, Pham ND. Economic Effects of Intellectual Property-Intensive Manufacturing in the United States. [available from: www.piausa.org], 2007: 3-5.
- www.daneshbonyan.ir [Homepage on the Internet]; available from: http://daneshbonyan.isti.ir/
- Sookhtanlo M, Rezvanfar A, Hashemi SM. Psychological Capabilities Affecting Agricultural Students' Entrepreneurship Level: a Comparative Study. Res J Agr Biol Sci 2009; 5(2): 175-184.
- Zarafshani K, Rajabi S. Effects of Personality Traits on Entrepreneurial Intentions: An Empirical Study in Iran. International Journal of Management. 2011; 28 (3): 630-642.
- Izadi M, Ayoobian A, Nasiri T, Joneidi N, Fazel M, Hosseinpourfard M. Situation of health tourism in Iran; opportunity or threat. Iranian Journal of Military Medicine. 2012; 14 (2): 69-75.
- Li S, Ragu-Nathan B, Ragu-Nathan TS, Rao SS. The impact of supply chain management practices on competitive advantage and organizational performance. Omega-INT J MANAGE S. 2006; 34: 107â124.
- Awaadn R, Ali S. Obsessional Disorders in al-Balkhiâs 9th Century Treatise: Sustenance of the Body and Soul. Journal Affect Disorders. 2015; 180: 185-189.
- Awaadn R, Ali S. A Modern Conceptualization of Phobia in al-Balkhiâs 9th Century Treatise: Sustenance of the Body and Soul. J Anxiety Disord. 2016; 37: 89-93.
- Eyk H, Baum F. Learning about interagency collaboration: trialing collaborative projects between hospitals and community health services. Health Soc Care Comm. 2002; 10(4): 262â269.
- Leonti M. Selection of Medicinal Plants- Evolutionary Considerations for Ethnopharmacology and Drug Discovery. Indian J Tradit Know. 2015; 14 (4): 605-608.
- Leonti M, Casu L. Traditional Medicines and Globalization: Current and Future Perspectives in Ethnopharmacology. Frontiers in Pharmacology. 2013; 4: 1-13.
- Posadzki P, Watson L, Ernst E. Contamination and Adulteration of Herbal Medicinal Products (HMPs): An Overview of Systematic Reviews. Eur J Clin Pharmacol. 2013; 69: 295â307.
- Posadzki P, Watson LK, Edzard Erns. Adverse effects of herbal medicines: an overview of systematic reviews. Clin Med. 2013; 13 (1): 7-12.
- Lee D, Lyu J, Lee KG. Analysis of Aflatoxins in Herbal Medicine and Health Functional Foods. Food Control. 2015; 48: 33-36.
- Pandey R, Tiwari RK, Shukla SS. Omics: A Newer Technique in Herbal Drug Standardization and Quantification. J Young Pharm. 2016; 8(2): 76-78.
- Buriani A, Garcia-Bermejo ML, Bosisio E, Xu Q, Li H, Dong X et al. Omic Techniques in Systems Biology Approaches to Traditional Chinese Medicine Research: Present and Future. J Ethnopharmacol. 2012; 140: 535-544.
- Mochida K, Shinozak K. Advances in Omics and Bioinformatics Tools for Systems Analyses of Plant Functions. Plant Cell Physiol. 2011; 52(12): 2017â2038.
- Pelkonen O, Pasanen M, Lindon JC, Chan K, Zhao L, Deal G. Omics and its Potential Impact on R&D and Regulation of Complex Herbal Products. J Ethnopharmacol. 2012; 140: 587-593.
- Taylor JLS, Rabe T, McGaw LJ, JÃ¤ger AK, Staden J. Towards the Scientiïc Validation of Traditional Medicinal Plants. Plant Growth Regul. 2001; 34: 23-37.
- Techen N, Parveen I, Pan Zh, Khan IA. DNA Barcoding of Medicinal Plant Material for Identification. Curr Opin Biotech. 2014; 25: 103-110.
- Gulati OP, Ottaway PB. Legislation Relating to Nutraceuticals in the European Union with a Particular Focus on Botanical-sourced Products. Toxicology. 2006; 221: 75-87.
- Kroes BH. The legal framework governing the quality of (traditional) herbal medicinal products in the European Union. J Ethnopharmacol. 2014; 158: 449-453.
- Peschel W. The Use of Community Herbal Monographs to Facilitate Registrations and Authorisations of Herbal Medicinal Products in the European Union 2004â2012. J Ethnopharmacol. 2014; 158: 471-486.
- Agriculture, Food and Water- a Contribution to the World Water Development Report, FAO, 2003.
- Pimentel D, Berger B, Filiberto D, Newton M, Wolfe B, Karabinakis E et al. Water Resources: Agricultural and Environmental Issues. BioScience. 2004; 54(10): 909-918.
- Saslis-Lagoudakis CH, Hawkins JA, Greenhill SJ, Pendry CA, Watson MF, Tuladhar-Douglas W. The Evolution of Traditional Knowledge: Environment Shapes Medicinal Plant Use in Nepal. Proc. R. Soc. B. 2014; 281: 1-7.
- Beckman J, Borchers A, Jones CA. Agricultureâs Supply and Demand for Energy and Energy Products. Economic Information Bulletin. 2013; 112: 1-27.