Document Type: Research(Original) Article
Department of Phytopharmaceuticals
(Traditional Pharmacy), School of Pharmacy
and Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Center,
Shiraz University of Medical Sciences,
Commiphora mukul (Hook. ex Stocks) Engl. (from the family Burseraceae) is well known the clinical applications of related gummy compositions. The gum possesses many pharmacological activities such as antiseptic, astringent, anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial activities. To outline a frame from chemical compositions of this medicament, current study has evaluated the essential oil extracted from different C. mukul gum samples found in medicinal plants markets in Iran. Five different Samples were purchased from medicinal plants market in Shiraz and were coarsely milled and subjected to a Clevenger-based hydrodistillation. Subsequently GC/MS analysis was performed for each sample by means of a gas chromatograph (Agilent Technologies 7890) coupled with a mass detector (Agilent Technologies model 5975C). Identification of the constituents was performed based on a comparison of their mass spectra with Willey (nl7) and Adams libraries spectra, as well as with those reported in literatures. The yield of extracted colorless but turbid essential oil from those samples was calculated at the range of 0.5-1% (V/W). Totally, 41 different components were identified for those collected samples. Major constituent (more than 5%) found in all samples was Alpha-Cadinol (7.25-14.49%). Results of the current procedure can be considered as a reference for the analysis and control of different C. mukul samples from markets.
- Sarup P, Bala S, Kamboj S. Pharmacology and Phytochemistry of Oleo-Gum Resin of Commiphora wightii (Guggulu). Scientifica. 2015;2015:14.
- Sinal CJ, Gonzalez FJ. Guggulsterone: an old approach to a new problem. Trends in endocrinology and metabolism: TEM. 2002;13(7):275-6.
- Urizar NL, Moore DD. GUGULIPID: a natural cholesterol-lowering agent. Annual review of nutrition. 2003;23:303-13.
- Satyavati GV. Gum guggul (Commiphora mukul)--the success story of an ancient insight leading to a modern discovery. The Indian journal of medical research. 1988;87:327-35.
- Chander R, Khanna AK, Kapoor NK. Lipid Lowering Activity of Guggulsterone from Commiphora mukul in Hyperlipaemic Rats. Phytotherapy Research. 1996;10(6):508-11.
- Sharma A, Patel VK, Rawat S, Ramteke P, Verma R. Identification of the antibacterial component of some Indian medicinal plants against Klebsiella pneumoniae. International Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2010;2(3):123-7.
- Xiao D, Zeng Y, Prakash L, Badmaev V, Majeed M, Singh SV. Reactive oxygen species-dependent apoptosis by gugulipid extract of ayurvedic medicine plant commiphora mukul in human prostate cancer cells is regulated by c-Jun N-terminal kinase. Molecular pharmacology. 2011;79(3):499-507.
- Singh BB, Mishra LC, Vinjamury SP, Aquilina N. The effectiveness of Commiphora mukul for osteoarthritis of the knee: an outcomes study. Alternative therapies in health and medicine. 2003;9(3):74.
- Bellamkonda R, Rasineni K, Singareddy SR, Kasetti RB, Pasurla R, Chippada AR, et al. Antihyperglycemic and antioxidant activities of alcoholic extract of Commiphora mukul gum resin in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Pathophysiology. 2011;18(4):255-61.
- Ojha S, Bhatia J, Arora S, Golechha M, Kumari S, Arya DS. Cardioprotective effects of Commiphora mukul against isoprenaline-induced cardiotoxicity: A biochemical and histopathological evaluation. Journal of Environmental Biology. 2011;32(6):731.
- Francis JA, Raja SN, Nair MG. Bioactive Terpenoids and Guggulusteroids from Commiphora mukul Gum Resin of Potential AntiâInflammatory Interest. Chemistry & biodiversity. 2004;1(11):1842-53.
- Adams RP. Identification of Essential Oil Components by Gas Chromatography/Mass Spectroscopy. Illinois, USA: Allured Publishing Corporation; 1995.
- Zarshenas MM, Samani SM, Petramfar P, Moein M. Analysis of the essential oil components from different Carum copticumL. samples from Iran. Pharmacognosy research. 2014;6(1):62-6.