Document Type: Breif Report
Cystatin C as a novel marker of kidney function may have some drawbacks in clinical practice. The aim of the present study was to assess the impact of glucocorticoid therapy and hematological malignancies on serum cystatin C level in patients receiving amphotericin B. Forty five adult patients with no history of acute or chronic kidney injury planned to receive conventional amphotericin B for an anticipated duration of at least 1 week for any indication were included. Serum cystatin C as well as creatinine levels were measured at three time points during amphotericin B treatment including days 0, 7, and 14. There was no statistically significant association between hematological malignancies and elevated serum Cys C at days 0 (P = 0.0705), 7 (P = 0.679), and 14 (P = 1). The mean ± SD serum Cys C levels at three time points were comparable between patients received glucocorticoids and those not given glucocorticoids. Our findings suggested that glucocorticoid treatment and hematological malignancies appear to have no significant effect on the serum cystatin C level in patients under amphotericin B treatment.
- - Tsigou E, Psallida V, Demponeras C, Boutzouka E, Baltopoulos G. Role of new biomarkers: functional and structural damage. Crit Care Res Pract. 2013;2013:361078.
- - Vaidya VS, Ferguson MA, Bonventre JV. Biomarkers of acute kidney injury. Annu Rev Pharmacol Toxicol. 2008;48:463-493.
- - Pianta TJ, Buckley NA, Peake PW, Endre ZH. Clinical use of biomarkers for toxicant-induced acute kidney injury. Biomark Med. 2013;7:441-456.
- - Karimzadeh I, Khalili H, Sagheb MM, Farsaei S. A double-blinded, placebo-controlled, multicenter clinical trial of N-acetylcysteine for preventing amphotericin B-induced nephrotoxicity. Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2015;11:1345-1355.
- - Risch L, Herklotz R, Blumberg A, Huber AR. Effects of glucocorticoid immunosuppression on serum cystatin C concentrations in renal transplant patients. Clin Chem. 2001;47:2055-2059.
- - Cimerman N, Brguljan P, Krasovec M, Suskovic S, Kos J. Serum cystatin C, a potent inhibitor of cysteine proteinases, is elevated in asthmatic patients. Clin Chim Acta. 2000;300:83-95.
- - Manetti L, Genovesi M, Pardini E, et al. Early effects of methylprednisolone infusion on serum cystatin C in patients with severe Graves' ophthalmopathy. Clin Chim Acta. 2005;356:227-228.
- - Risch L, Saely C, Reist U, Reist K, Hefti M, Huber AR. Course of glomerular filtration rate markers in patients receiving high-dose glucocorticoids following subarachnoidal hemorrhage. Clin Chim Acta. 2005;360:205-207.
- - Silva MV, Moscoso Solorzano G, Nishida SK, Kirsztajn GM. Are serum cystatin C levels influenced by steroid doses in lupus nephritis patients? J Bras Nefrol. 2011;33:306-312.
- - BÃ¶kenkamp A, van Wijk JA, Lentze MJ, Stoffel-Wagner B. Effect of corticosteroid therapy on serum cystatin C and beta2-microglobulin concentrations. Clin Chem. 2002;48:1123-1126.
- - Bodnar L, Wcislo GB, Smoter M, et al. Cystatin C as a parameter of glomerular filtration rate in patients with ovarian cancer. Kidney Blood Press Res. 2010;33:360-367.
- - Kos J, Stabuc B, Cimerman N, BrÃ¼nner N. Serum cystatin C, a new marker of glomerular filtration rate, is increased during malignant progression. Clin Chem. 1998;44:2556-2557.
- - Stabuc B, Vrhovec L, Stabuc-Silih M, Cizej TE. Improved prediction of decreased creatinine clearance by serum cystatin C: use in cancer patients before and during chemotherapy. Clin Chem. 2000;46:193-197.
- - DemirtaÅ S, Akan O, Can M, Elmali E, Akan H. Cystatin C can be affected by nonrenal factors: a preliminary study on leukemia. Clin Biochem. 2006;39:115-118.
- - Bardi E, Bobok I, Olah AV, Olah E, Kappelmayer J, Kiss C. Cystatin C is a suitable marker of glomerular function in children with cancer. Pediatr Nephrol. 2004;19:1145-1147.
- - Bardi E, Dobos E, Kappelmayer J, Kiss C. Differential effect of corticosteroids on serum cystatin C in thrombocytopenic purpura and leukemia. Pathol Oncol Res. 2010;16:453-456.
- - Keevil BG, Kilpatrick ES, Nichols SP, Maylor PW. Biological variation of cystatin C: implications for the assessment of glomerular filtration rate. Clin Chem. 1998;44:1535-1539.