Document Type: Research(Original) Article
Department of Biochemistry, Shiraz University of Medical Sciences, School of Medicine, Shiraz, Iran
Saffron (Crocus sativus) is one of the indigenous plants of Iran. Recently its possible effects have been reported on lipid abnormalities and oxidative stress. The aim of this study was to investigate the effects of saffron consumption on lipid profiles, especially the reduction of blood cholesterol, and lipid peroxidation in male hamsters under a high-fat diet. Twenty-six hamster rats were categorized in control group, high-fat diet group (HFD), and high-fat diet group treated with an aqueous saffron extract (HFD+S). The HFD and HFD+S groups were subjected to high-fat diet for 30 days. During last 10 days of this course, the HFD+S group received 100 mg/kg/day saffron through gavage. Saffron administration along with a high fat diet significantly decreased serum levels of total cholesterol, low molecular weight lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, malondialdehyde (MDA), and some hepatic enzymes. These results support the possible effects of saffron consumption in the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease.
- Ballantyne CM, Olsson AG, Cook TJ, Mercuri MF, Pedersen TR, Kjekshus J. Influence of low high-density lipoprotein cholesterol and elevated triglyceride on coronary heart disease events and response to simvastatin therapy in 4S. Circulation. 2001;104(25):3046-51.
- Siri-Tarino PW. Effects of diet on high-density lipoprotein cholesterol. Current atherosclerosis reports. 2011;13(6):453-60.
- Talayero BG, Sacks FM. The role of triglycerides in atherosclerosis. Current cardiology reports. 2011;13(6):544-52.
- Kruth HS. Cholesterol deposition in atherosclerotic lesions. Cholesterol: Springer; 1997. p. 319-62.
- Hoff H, Gaubatz J, Gotto A. Apo B concentration in the normal human aorta. Biochemical and biophysical research communications. 1978;85(4):1424-30.
- Maron DJ, Fazio S, Linton MF. Current perspectives on statins. Circulation. 2000;101(2):207-13.
- Meier B, Frank B, Wahl A, Diener HC. Secondary stroke prevention: patent foramen ovale, aortic plaque, and carotid stenosis. European heart journal. 2012;33(6):705-13.
- Gillett Jr RC, Norrell A. Considerations for safe use of statins: liver enzyme abnormalities and muscle toxicity. American family physician. 2011;83(6).
- Rouhi-Boroujeni H, Rouhi-Boroujeni H, Heidarian E, Mohammadizadeh F, Rafieian-Kopaei M. Herbs with anti-lipid effects and their interactions with statins as a chemical anti-hyperlipidemia group drugs: A systematic review. ARYA atherosclerosis. 2015;11(4):244.
- Cassidy A, O'Reilly ÃJ, Kay C, Sampson L, Franz M, Forman J, et al. Habitual intake of flavonoid subclasses and incident hypertension in adults. The American journal of clinical nutrition. 2011;93(2):338-47.
- Rios J, Recio M, Giner R, Manez S. An update review of saffron and its active constituents. Phytotherapy Research. 1996;10(3):189-93.
- Asdaq SMB, Inamdar MN. Potential of Crocus sativus (saffron) and its constituent, crocin, as hypolipidemic and antioxidant in rats. Applied biochemistry and biotechnology. 2010;162(2):358-72.
- Mahajan RT, Chopda M. Phyto-Pharmacology of Ziziphus jujuba Mill-A plant review. Pharmacognosy Reviews. 2009;3(6):320.
- Samuel VT, Liu Z-X, Qu X, Elder BD, Bilz S, Befroy D, et al. Mechanism of hepatic insulin resistance in non-alcoholic fatty liver disease. Journal of Biological Chemistry. 2004;279(31):32345-53.
- Nanji A, French S, Freeman J. Serum alanine aminotransferase to aspartate aminotransferase ratio and degree of fatty liver in morbidly obese patients. Enzyme. 1985;36(4):266-9.
- Hosseinzadeh H, Younesi HM. Antinociceptive and anti-inflammatory effects of Crocus sativus L. stigma and petal extracts in mice. BMC pharmacology. 2002;2(1):1-8.
- Dalle-Donne I, Rossi R, Giustarini D, Milzani A, Colombo R. Protein carbonyl groups as biomarkers of oxidative stress. Clinica chimica acta. 2003;329(1):23-38.
- Vaez A, Mardani M, Razavi S. Impact of saffron on rat sperm membrane integrity and spermatogenesis status. Advanced biomedical research. 2014;3.
- Friedewald WT, Levy RI, Fredrickson DS. Estimation of the concentration of low-density lipoprotein cholesterol in plasma, without use of the preparative ultracentrifuge. Clinical chemistry. 1972;18(6):499-502.
- Ahmadi S-A, Boroumand M-A, Gohari-Moghaddam K, Tajik P, Dibaj S-M. The impact of low serum triglyceride on LDL-cholesterol estimation. Arch Iran Med. 2008;11(3):318-21.
- Levine RL, Garland D, Oliver CN, Amici A, Climent I, Lenz A-G, et al.  Determination of carbonyl content in oxidatively modified proteins. Methods in enzymology. 1990;186:464-78.
- Buege JA, Aust SD.  Microsomal lipid peroxidation. Methods in enzymology. 1978;52:302-10.
- Shikov AN, Pozharitskaya ON, Makarova MN, Kovaleva MA, Laakso I, Dorman HD, et al. Effect of Bergenia crassifolia L. extracts on weight gain and feeding behavior of rats with high-caloric diet-induced obesity. Phytomedicine. 2012;19(14):1250-5.
- Sheng L, Qian Z, Zheng S, Xi L. Mechanism of hypolipidemic effect of crocin in rats: crocin inhibits pancreatic lipase. European journal of pharmacology. 2006;543(1):116-22.
- Mashmoul M, Azlan A, Khaza'ai H, Yusof BNM, Noor SM. Saffron: A natural potent antioxidant as a promising anti-obesity drug. Antioxidants. 2013;2(4):293-308.
- Balzan S, Hernandes A, Reichert CL, Donaduzzi C, Pires VA, Gasparotto A, et al. Lipid-lowering effects of standardized extracts of Ilex paraguariensis in high-fat-diet rats. Fitoterapia. 2013;86:115-22.
- ÄeriÄ M, KojiÄ-Damjanov S, Äabarkapa V, EremiÄ N. Biochemical markers of atherosclerosis. Journal of Medical Biochemistry. 2008;27(2):148-53.
- Mertz D. [" Atherosclerosis-index"(LDL/HDL): risk indicator in lipid metabolism disorders]. Medizinische Klinik. 1980;75(4):159-61.
- Samarghandian S, Azimi-Nezhad M, Farkhondeh T. Immunomodulatory and antioxidant effects of saffron aqueous extract (Crocus sativus L.) on streptozotocin-induced diabetes in rats. Indian Heart Journal. 2016.
- Ming M, Guanhua L, Zhanhai Y, Guang C, Xuan Z. Effect of the Lycium barbarum polysaccharides administration on blood lipid metabolism and oxidative stress of mice fed high-fat diet in vivo. Food Chemistry. 2009;113(4):872-7.
- Liu Y, Palanivel R, Rai E, Park M, Gabor TV, Scheid MP, et al. Adiponectin stimulates autophagy and reduces oxidative stress to enhance insulin sensitivity during high-fat diet feeding in mice. Diabetes. 2015;64(1):36-48.
- Mayer M, Bukau B. Hsp70 chaperones: cellular functions and molecular mechanism. Cellular and molecular life sciences. 2005;62(6):670-84.
- Hosseinzadeh H, Ziaei T. Effects of Crocus sativus stigma extract and its constituents, crocin and safranal, on intact memory and scopolamine-induced learning deficits in rats performing the Morris water maze task. Journal of Medicinal Plants. 2006;3(19):40-50.
- Hosseinzadeh H, Sadeghnia HR, Ghaeni FA, Motamedshariaty VS, Mohajeri SA. Effects of saffron (Crocus sativus L.) and its active constituent, crocin, on recognition and spatial memory after chronic cerebral hypoperfusion in rats. Phytotherapy Research. 2012;26(3):381-6.
- Boussabbeh M, Salem IB, Belguesmi F, Bacha H, Abid-Essefi S. Tissue oxidative stress induced by patulin and protective effect of crocin. Neurotoxicology. 2016;53:343-9.
- Heitzer T, Schlinzig T, Krohn K, Meinertz T, MÃ¼nzel T. Endothelial dysfunction, oxidative stress, and risk of cardiovascular events in patients with coronary artery disease. Circulation. 2001;104(22):2673-8.
- Limdi J, Hyde G. Evaluation of abnormal liver function tests. Postgraduate medical journal. 2003;79(932):307-12.
- Hoshyar R, Hosseinian M, Naghandar MR, Hemmati M, Zarban A, Amini Z, et al. Anti-Dyslipidemic Properties of Saffron: Reduction in the Associated Risks of Atherosclerosis and Insulin Resistance. Iranian Red Crescent Medical Journal. 2016(inpress).