Document Type: Research(Original) Article
Legal Medicine Research Center, Legal Medicine Organization of Iran, Tehran, Iran
Strychnine is a toxic alkaloid which might be the source of poisoning with homicidal and suicidal purposes. Eleven fatal cases of strychnine ingestion were considered in this study. Strychnine was isolated from biological samples using the solid phase extraction (SPE) procedure and detected by analytical methods such as thin layer chromatography (TLC), gas chromatography/mass spectrometry (GC-MS) as well as high performance liquid chromatography (HPLC). Eleven cases of strychnine ingestion including 8 men and 3 women with minimum and maximum ages of 17 and 56 years old have been studied. Most of them had an education level of high school and had neither criminal history nor psychological disorders except for 3 cases that were using psychiatric drugs. Facial and ocular congestion, facial cyanosis, lung edema and hemorrhage were found in all of the cases. Hyperemic kidney, brain, liver and meninges and lung collapse were other pathologic findings encountered. Reactive gliosis, subarachnoid focal hemorrhage and 6 cm laceration on the left side of the face were separately found in three cases. Considering highly fatal effects of strychnine and its potential suicidal use, it should be strictly and severely prohibited and watched out for its misuse. On the other hand, the analytical methods used, indicated their reliable, simple, specific and sensible application in forensic and clinical investigations.
- Huang X, Chen H, Michelsen K, Schneider S, Shaffer PL. Crystal structure of human glycine receptor-[agr] 3 bound to antagonist strychnine. Nature. 2015;526(7572):277-80.
- Grenningloh G, Rienitz A, Schmitt B, Methfessel C, Zensen M, Beyreuther K, et al. The strychnine-binding subunit of the glycine receptor shows homology with nicotinic acetylcholine receptors. Nature. 1986;328(6127):215-20.
- Kodikara S. Strychnine in amoxicillin capsules: A means of homicide. Journal of forensic and legal medicine. 2012;19(1):40-1.
- Prat S, Hoizey G, Lefrancq T, SaintâMartin P. An Unusual Case of Strychnine Poisoning. Journal of forensic sciences. 2015;60(3):816-7.
- Perper JA. Fatal strychnine poisoning--a case report and review of the literature. Journal of forensic sciences. 1985;30(4):1248-55.
- Winek CL, Wahba WW, Esposito FM, Collom WD. Fatal Strychnine Ingestion. Journal of Analytical Toxicology. 1986 May 1, 1986;10(3):120-1.
- Amir M, Mujeeb M, Usmani S, Ahmad A, Ahmad S, Siddique W, et al. A Validated Quantitiatve High Performance Thin-Layer Chromatographic Method for Estimation of Strychnine in Strychnos Nux Vomica Seed Extract and Marketed Unani Formulation. International Journal of Applied Science and Engineering 11 (2). 2013:149-58.
- Ikan R. Natural products: a laboratory guide: Elsevier; 2013.
- Carlier J, Guitton J, Romeuf L, Bevalot F, Boyer B, Fanton L, et al. Screening approach by ultra-high performance liquid chromatographyâtandem mass spectrometry for the blood quantification of thirty-four toxic principles of plant origin. Application to forensic toxicology. Journal of Chromatography B. 2015;975:65-76.
- Gu W, Wang D, Pan Z, Liu X, Cai B, Chen J. Ultraâperformance liquid chromatographyâtandem mass spectrometric assay for the simultaneous determination of brucine, strychnine and brucine Nâoxide in rat plasma: application to a pharmacokinetic study. Biomedical Chromatography. 2015.
- Chen X, Lai Y, Cai Z. Simultaneous Analysis of Strychnine and Brucine and their Major Metabolites by Liquid ChromatographyâElectrospray Ion Trap Mass Spectrometry. Journal of analytical toxicology. 2012;36(3):171-6.
- Li Y, Zhang H, Hu J, Xue F, Li Y, Sun C. A GCâEI-MS-MS Method for Simultaneous Determination of Seven Adulterants in Slimming Functional Foods. Journal of chromatographic science. 2012;50(10):928-33.
- Oliver J, Smith H, Watson A. Poisoning by strychnine. Medicine, Science and the Law. 1979;19(2):134-7.
- van Berlo-van de Laar I, Arbouw M, Bles C. [Strychnine poisoning: uncommon, but does still happen]. Nederlands tijdschrift voor geneeskunde. 2014;159:A8877-A.
- PROULX G, BROOK RK, CATTET M, DARIMONT C, PAQUET PC. Poisoning wolves with strychnine is unacceptable in experimental studies and conservation programmes. Environmental Conservation. 2015:1-2.
- Achappa B, Madi D, Babu YR, Mahalingam S. Rituals can killâA fatal case of brucine poisoning. The Australasian medical journal. 2012;5(8):421.
- van Berlo-van de Laar I, Arbouw M, Bles C. Strychnine poisoning: uncommon, but does still happen. Nederlands tijdschrift voor geneeskunde. 2014;159:A8877-A.
- Lund C, Teige B, Drottning P, Stiksrud B, Rui TO, Lyngra M, et al. A one-year observational study of all hospitalized and fatal acute poisonings in Oslo: epidemiology, intention and follow-up. BMC public health. 2012;12(1):858.
- Malick S, Sardar T, Goswami AK, Daskundu S, Dey A. Necessity of Regional Surveys of Poisoning Scenario for Establishing Clinical Toxicology Units in Major Hospitals. Journal of the Indian Society of Toxicology. 2014;10(2):5-7.
- Hashim A, Mohammed R, Umar D, Veena VR, Bahija B, Kusai B. A reverse phased high-pressure liquid chromatographic method for the estimation of a poisonous matter in Strychnos nux-vomica. Journal of advanced pharmaceutical technology & research. 2015;6(3):108.
- Yan J, Zhu H, Song F, Liu Z. THE STRUCTURAL ELUCIDATION OF THE STRYCHNOS ALKALOIDS BY HPLC-ESI-MSn. Journal of Liquid Chromatography & Related Technologies. 2014;37(8):1079-86.
- Meyer GM, Weber AA, Maurer HH. Development and validation of a fast and simple multiâanalyte procedure for quantification of 40 drugs relevant to emergency toxicology using GCâMS and oneâpoint calibration. Drug testing and analysis. 2014;6(5):472-81.
- Lerch O, Temme O, Daldrup T. Comprehensive automation of the solid phase extraction gas chromatographic mass spectrometric analysis (SPE-GC/MS) of opioids, cocaine, and metabolites from serum and other matrices. Analytical and bioanalytical chemistry. 2014;406(18):4443-51.