Document Type: Case Report
In the present report, we describe a middle- age man who experienced decrased visual acuity and metamorphopsia several times since administration of desmpressin nasal spray.Ophthalmologic examination revealed that visual acuity of OD: 4/10 and OS: 9/10 with correction. pigmentary change and retinal elevation was present in fundus examination. Finding was documented with optical coherence tomography (OCT) and Fluorescein angiography (FA).The patient was diagnosed as central serous chorioretinopathy (CSCR) due to consumption of desmopressin nasal spray.We conclude that desmopressin might be developed of CSCR but more study is recommended to confirm this hypothesis that there is association between this kind of drug and development of CSCR.
- Kisma N, Loukianou E, Pal B. Central Serous Chorioretinopathy Associated with Desmopressin Nasal Spray: Causality or Unfortunate Association. Case Reports in Ophthalmology. 2018;9(1):126-31.
- Bouzas EA, Scott MH, Mastorakos G, Chrousos GP, Kaiser-Kupfer MI. Central serous chorioretinopathy in endogenous hypercortisolism. Archives of ophthalmology (Chicago, Ill : 1960). 1993;111(9):1229-33.
- Carnahan MC, Goldstein DA. Ocular complications of topical, peri-ocular, and systemic corticosteroids. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2000;11(6):478-83.
- Chaine G, Haouat M, Menard-Molcard C, Favard C, Vignal-Clermont C, Campinchi-Tardy F, et al. [Central serous chorioretinopathy and systemic steroid therapy]. Journal francais d'ophtalmologie. 2001;24(2):139-46.
- Fawzi AA, Cunningham ET, Jr. Central serous chorioretinopathy after bone marrow transplantation. Am J Ophthalmol. 2001;131(6):804-5.
- Abu el-Asrar AM. Central serous chorioretinopathy complicating systemic corticosteroid therapy. European journal of ophthalmology. 1997;7(3):297-300.
- Chumbley LC, Frank RN. Central serous retinopathy and pregnancy. Am J Ophthalmol. 1974;77(2):158-60.
- Gelber GS, Schatz H. Loss of vision due to central serous chorioretinopathy following psychological stress. The American journal of psychiatry. 1987;144(1):46-50.
- Williams RB, Jr., Lane JD, Kuhn CM, Melosh W, White AD, Schanberg SM. Type A behavior and elevated physiological and neuroendocrine responses to cognitive tasks. Science (New York, NY). 1982;218(4571):483-5.
- Boucher MC, el Toukhy EA, Cormier G. Bilateral serous retinal detachments associated with Goodpasture's syndrome. Canadian journal of ophthalmology Journal canadien d'ophtalmologie. 1998;33(1):46-9.
- Dinakaran S, Desai SP. Central serous retinopathy associated with Weber-Christian disease. European journal of ophthalmology. 1999;9(2):139-41.
- Malerbi DA, Mendonca BB, Liberman B, Toledo SP, Corradini MC, Cunha-Neto MB, et al. The desmopressin stimulation test in the differential diagnosis of Cushing's syndrome. Clinical endocrinology. 1993;38(5):463-72.